Chocolate Flavored Almond Flour Muffins

14 May

After some tries and failures. I think I have fiddled enough with this recipe to pass it on. This is a paleolithic/primal version of almond muffins. I have taken personal observations and suggestions from Mark Sisson’s blog and have made chocolate flavored almond flour muffins.

The main ingredient is almond flour. Which is hard to find here in Montreal. It is either overpriced, or simply unavailable. The options are as follows. You can go on to www.nutsonline.com, a great site that has many different types of flours, nuts and dried fruits. It ships to Canada and is not overpriced.

The other options are as follows; make your own. Buy some blanched almond and grind them ( just not too much or you’ll end up with almond butter). The easy quick solution I found was Sunsource , there are two locations here in Montreal, one in Westmount or one in Outremont. Here you can find blanched almond flour/meal and you can buy in specific quantities.

For this Recipe you will need

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/2 a cup of unsweetened apple sauce ( for moisture)
1/2 of maple syrup or raw agave nectar
5 oz (140 g) almond flour (2 cups almond meal or finely ground almonds)
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons (1 fl oz) coconut oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla

I usually like to sprinkle some maple flakes on top of the muffins before I put them in the oven.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F
2. Grease or use baking cups (yields 6 large muffins or 8 regular ones)
3. In a bowl beat the eggs with apple sauce and maple sugar for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the coconut oil and mix well.
5. Add almond flour, cocoa powder, vanilla and baking powder, and mix gently.
6. Bake at 350 degrees until a until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 minutes.

There are hearty healthy little yummy treats… they are not very sweet but are most definitely satisfying.They are gluten free and follow the primal blueprint. Feel free to experiment as I have.

If you have any questions drop me a line!

Happy Baking.

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Chocolate Flavored Almond Flour Muffins”

1. jay May 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM #

The muffins look awesome. And this is the first time I read about the primal blueprint. Seems very interesting.

• haaf May 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM #

It is very interesting… and worth a shot. If not the blog is a good read and has great recipes!

2. Hala March 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM #

Great recipes! I’m loving everything I’ve read here!

I know this one might be an older post, but I thought I’d put in my 2-cents, in case someone stumbles here looking for info about Almond Flour/meal/etc.

I’ve bought my Almond flour from Bulk Barn in Montreal. Although it seemed a bit pricey at first ($7.98/pound blanched Almonds), when I really thought about it, the recipe I was using it for (French Macarons) didn’t call for that much (maybe half a pound at most). And you don’t have to wait for it to ship home 🙂

I also found a few great things they carry that I could not find anywhere else (coloured sugar crystals for one, by the colour and per pound).

• zvezda May 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM #

I found almond flour at rachelle bery…

3. Lisa October 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM #

Is that 1/2 cup of maple syrup?

• haaf October 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM #

Yes! Thanks for catching that.