Sweet Basil Zucchini Soup: The Fresh Taste of Summer

21 Jul

I recently started receiving an organic vegetable basket every two weeks. This forces me to prepare my vegetables ahead of time so I can just dive into my fridge and find a yummy snack waiting. Last week’s basket came with about 6 zucchini and a whole lot of other fresh organic goodies. I had no idea what to do with some many vegetables and with so little time to eat them all. Until I thought of soup! Soup is such a great way to use vegetable that may otherwise go to waste! Not to mention I just love eating soup and with this cooler weather, a nice little bowl in the evening sounds just about right…

Sweet Basil Zucchini Soup

For this recipe you will need
Ingredients
4 cups of water
2 cups of chicken stalk/ or vegetable stock
12 basil leaves
6 green zucchini (peeled)
2 carrot (peeled)
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
1 celery stalk
1 TBS of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Cut all the vegetables (zucchini’s, carrots, celery, onion, garlic)
2. In a pot combine the vegetables, broth and water.
3. Add 8 of the basil leaves
4. Let the vegetable and liquid heat up to a boil on meduim heat.
5. This should take about 40-45 minutes ( or till you can fork through the carrots easily)
6. After letting the contents of the pot cool put everything into the blender!
7. Add remaining basil leaves, oil and salt and pepper.
8. Blend it all, till it is a smooth consistency ( this is always my favorite part)
9. I sometimes like to add an extra raw garlic clove for a kick.

I find this soup tastes better after its had time for the flavors to take. I leave it in the fridge for about a day, and then take it out at night for a great delicate tasting soup! Optionally, I like to add some strong goat cheese or feta into my soup with a drizzle of olive oil and chili peppers flakes to counter the subtle sweet taste of the basil. If you like the sweet fresh taste of basil and want to add more shred some on top of heated bowl of soup! So until then, enjoy the soup as much as I do…

If you have any questions drop me a line!

About these ads

7 Responses to “Sweet Basil Zucchini Soup: The Fresh Taste of Summer”

1. skinny101grly July 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM #

I love to make soup on Sunday and take it with me to work for the week as lunch. I have tons of basil in my garden that I never know what to do with. Great idea!

• haaf July 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM #

My thoughts excatly! I had a huge basil plant on my porch that needed to have leaves plucked!

2. Bethann July 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM #

Sounds delicious! I can’t wait to make this one, Helen! It sounds like it would also be tasty chilled on a hot day!

• haaf July 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM #

In that case… I would add some chopped walnuts if you serve it cold… or maybe even some some salted chopped macadamia nuts!

3. JP August 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM #

That looks delicious! nice presentation too!
    I love zucchini so I might as I well cook that soup either tonight or tomorrow.

4. Lynn December 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM #

With bountiful zucchini growing in my garden I will be canning zucchini in all ways possible in summer of 2012.
    Have you ever made this soup and pressured canned it? This recipe seems really good and I would love to attempt to can it.
    Please let me know
    Thanks

Lynn

5. kirstenskitchen August 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM #

I am making some zucchini soup this afternoon…thanks for the inspiration!